A Little Cyber Space

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Football Weather

I went to my town's High School Homecoming game on Friday. It was the first really cold evening we've had for a while. Last game, it was 90 degrees during the day so this game was of great relief for the players! The game was really crowded so I just stood by the fence for most of the game. It was interesting being a "people watcher". I didn't even really look at people - I had my back to kids as they walked behind me around the sidewalk circling the track - I just listened. Many of the words I heard I wouldn't dare speak at that age especially if an adult was nearby.(and many were) This didn't seem to bother the student whose string of obscenities was growing longer by the second. I also noticed the small child that was kicking the fence so hard that is was wobbling all the way down next to where I was standing. The parents were nearby but didn't seem to noticed the enormous distraction. I started to wonder "Is anyone paying attention?"

It's sad, but I think we have become a society so engrossed with ourselves that we notice nothing else. The band was playing the Star Spangled Banner and half the crowd was talking - not even facing the flag. All I could think about during the song is the sad state the world is in right now. All the violence and bloodshed plastered across the tv everyday - the sad situation in Myanmar (Burma), the brave soldiers that have fought in many wars(Revolutionary, Civil, War on Terror...), and these people can't stand quiet for a few minutes and reflect??

As I stood there listening to the low roar of the crowd (laughing, chatting, sports talk,...) I wondered what would these people do if some catastrophic event happened right now? Would they be able to cope? Would people band together or would there be chaos?

Unfortunately, I think it would be "every man for himself." We have become so consumed by ourselves that we see nothing else. It's a sobering thought. I know that I will be okay - I have God. His presence is always with me and I know that he will never leave me nor forsake me. But, as I looked out upon this crowd of people, the joy of the game faded to the reality that many of these people don't really know God. A lot probably don't even give God a second thought. Why would you - life is great right? I ache inside to tell people about him - tell them that no matter if they believe in him or not, they will still have to stand before him and give an account of their lives. I wanted to shout that the door is only opened now... now is the time...God is waiting...

I stood there silent. I made no sound. I just kept listening to the dull roar of the crowd. I also wondered what would God think of me for not doing the one really important thing he asked: tell them about me - let them know I am real and I love them. Maybe the worst thing wasn't the obscence words, or annoying child - maybe it was the silence.

1 Comments:

  • I really like what you wrote.
    Especially the last paragraph. It really makes me think.

    I tend to be a people watcher too, especially in the football game environment. Thank you for your words.

    By Blogger Karen, at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home